Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Everyone instantly recognizes his name, but most forget that in addition to being a brilliant scientist, he was essentially a refugee. He was a Jew from Germany who came to the US in the 1930s, after being persecuted in his homeland.
Thinking about this, there are two other things about him that may also be relevant today: in spite of being well educated, he was fairly poor; and he lived here for a fairly long period before he got his citizenship.
But that's not all there is to say about the man. Einstein had interests beyond science.
He was a social activist. Of the nazi regime he said "[they] shun popular enlightenment, and more than anything else in the world, fear the influence of men of intellectual independence."
He was a member of the NAACP, and passionate about being against racism. He called racism the "worst disease in the US, that's handed down from generation to generation" and was vocal about it, giving talks on the subject.
Einstein also encouraged socialism and was critical of capitalism, and gave talks on that too. He strongly advocated the idea of a "democratic global government" that would check the power of nation-states in the framework of a world federation.
Keep that in mind. Everyone can and should contribute to society on an intellectual level as well as have a social conscience. Keeping people down or out because they are different or merely poor is not a solution to anything.
- Ivanka Trump And White House Nepotism - Ivanka Doe...
- Legal definition: treason
- #DumbQuoteOfTheWeek Pennsylvania Republican state ...
- Internet privacy
- #Illegitimate Trump Russia dossier key claim 'veri...
- We Found the Guy Who Built a Robot That Prints Tru...
- The Early Spy Manual That Turned Bad Middle Manage...
- Those are some great reviews...
- #MakeAmericaSmartAgain A Teenager Just "Delighted"...
- Trump touts Charter hiring that was in works for t...
- Trump truck
- #MakeAmericaSmartAgaun Absolutely Mind blowing Vid...
- Irish faux pas
- Ye, the Irish were the wretched
- No one respects women more than he does. No one.
- #MakeAmericaSmartAgain - child prodigy wants to be...
- I am not a crook
- Stuff that makes me crazy
- Can you imagine if it was Hillary, rather than Tru...
- ▼ March (23)
Was a server registered to the Trump Organization communicating with Russia’s Alfa Bank?http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2016/10/was_a_server_registered_to_the_trump_organization_communicating_with_rus...
The Long ConThere's a dictionary definition for a confidence man, or in its more-oft used form a con man: One who gains the trust, or "confiden...
illegitimate, Not my president. Not OUR presidentThere are a lot of words that people apply to the Donald. Some are true. Some have a ring of truth. Some are just amusing, but may no...
JFK AssassinationFor reasons that I can't explain, I recently got very interested in the JFK assassination. I have always known the basic story...
Zapruder FilmIn my post about JFK, I mentioned the Zapruder film as a key piece of evidence that we have. But there are some unusual things ...
11 photos of NYC’s naked Trump statue | The Verge"NYC Parks stands firmly against any unpermitted erection in city parks, no matter how small." http://www.theverge.com/platfo...
#MakeAmericaSmartAgain IRIDIUM-1 MISSION | SpaceXAwesome launch today! Watch the replay here: http://www.spacex.com/webcast