Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Women’s rights

I like to think of myself as open minded and I come from a multi-cultural background. But because of my name and the way I look, people think of me as "a white guy" which is a blessing - and a curse.

I always treat everyone as equals, no matter what.  Everyone deserves respect and the benefit of the doubt. 

I could never understand why some have a sort of superiority complex with anyone who's different than them. 

For most of my life, I was aware of racism, xenophobia, and general distrust of other men. 

But I never really thought about women and how they are generally treated. Maybe it was foolishness on my part. Maybe it's the stereotyping or the way society on the whole treated sex or sexism. 

Surely, we've come a long way from the 50s era with the "traditional housewife" and the man being the main breadwinner. 

But over the last several years, I've seen it differently. Maybe it's because I have a daughter. Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser. I don't know. 

But why is it that "boys will be boys" is acceptable? How can "locker room talk" be an answer for things?

What I'm seeing is that the #MeToo movement addresses some of this. But pushback has been interesting especially from old, white guys who would prefer a "simpler time" like the 50s where they can be sexist and have their way with women. And women have limited rights. 

Now on the topic of the day about sexual assault. I try to be open minded. I realize that not everyone will be truthful and honest. Surely some people are out to harm others and may lie. But for whatever reason it becomes "he said, she said" and in general unless there is hard evidence, "we" tend to believe the man. 

I can only imagine how hard it is for a woman to come forward. And yet some do, and it would seem like a growing number of them are now. 

But yet, we as society still dismiss their claims. We tend to favor the upstanding guy with the moral character and the religious conviction (and speaking of that, hows that working out with priests?). The woman must be mistaken must have had a lapse and somehow it's her fault, or she's deemed to be morally loose in some way. 

I see it and I want to say something. Damn you old white guys and your silly notions. Women are our equals. We need to treat them the same way as we do the men. 

And on a related topic, here's a terrific piece about how men always dominate the conversation when it comes to abortion. It's worth your time.